What are OpenCon satellite events?
OpenCon satellite events held in partnership with the main conference can be of any size, in any place, at any time and are open to anyone. Most are held around OpenCon 2016 however you can also host them around Open Access Week, Open Education Week, and Open Data Day. Satellites can combine content, themes and ideas from the main meeting with locally arranged activities. They're the perfect way to learn and get involved in the community, and are an essential part of the OpenCon community.
OpenCon satellite events provide the perfect opportunity for local partners to begin discussion, or catalyze local progress on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data while staying connected to a global movement. The OpenCon conference series is also extremely popular, with OpenCon 2014 receiving almost 2000 applications, so satellite events are critical to allow more people to get involved!
OpenCon satellite events are a critical part of the community. In OpenCon’s first year the satellite events reach double the number of the people as the main conference alone. Now almost 2000 people have attended over 40 satellite events in 25 countries.
Why should you host an OpenCon satellite event?
It’s a great way to kick start or continue to build the momentum for Open Access, Open Education, and/or Open Data in your area and in tandem with others across the world;
By providing part or all of the content, alongside huge amounts of other support it decreases the amount of effort involved in planning a meeting on these issues;
You can host the event in a way which suits you—on your own timeline and with your own speakers, and more;
Satellite events are a great way to continue the Open Access Week conversation; and,
It’s great experience that allows you to join in a conversation with peers around the world.
Steps for getting started
1. Have a look around the satellite event pages. You’ll find resources for publicising your event, obtaining sign-ups, information for streaming on the day and more. We’ll keep updating this kit as resources become available so keep checking back.
2. Get in contact and get connected! We can’t support you if you don’t tell us you’re doing an event! If you’re interested in hosting an event fill out the form at the bottom of this page and get linked up to make sure you get all the info, help and support you need.
3. Brainstorm for your event. This is the fun bit! Start to think about what you’d like your event to look like. We’re happy to chat through ideas with you - but remember this is your event. We’ve given you a headstart here though!
4. Get planning! Once you’ve got your ideas together, it’s time to get planning—the sooner the better for a great event.
5. Get the word out and get sign ups. Once you’ve confirmed the day and the basic details about the event, it’s time to get the word out! We’ll support you with managing signups, providing poster templates, creating an event website, sending publicity emails, and more. Details can be found here.
Now Register to Host an Event!
Fill in the form below to express your interest in hosting an OpenCon satellite event. Once submitted, an organizer from OpenCon will follow up with you directly to answer your questions, help you move forwards. If you’re still excited about hosting an event at that point, we’ll ask you to submit a plan and then provide you with all the support you need to pull of a great event.
Please be patient however, as we’re a very small team and at busy times it can take a while!