About OpenCon: conference, satellites & community
OpenCon is more than a conference. It’s a platform for the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data, develop critical skills, and catalyze action toward a more open system for sharing the world’s information—from scholarly and scientific research, to educational materials, to digital research data. OpenCon 2016 will be held in Washington, DC on November 12-14, with satellite events hosted around the world.
Apply to Attend OpenCon
Applications to attend OpenCon 2016 are closed! Attendance at OpenCon 2016 is by application only as most participants receive travel scholarships if needed, but anyone can attend remotely.
Organized by the Right to Research Coalition & SPARC
OpenCon is organized by SPARC, the Right to Research Coalition, and a Organizing Committee of students and early career academic professionals from around the world.
What the community is saying about OpenCon
OpenCon 2014 was the best conference I have ever been to. The presentations, speeches, and workshops as well as all the connections I made at OpenCon educated me about the exciting developments occurring not only in Open Educational Resources, but Open Access and Open Data as well. I left informed and inspired to continue on as an open advocate. Full of word class attendees, organizers, and presenters, OpenCon was a once in a life time opportunity that I will never forget.
Chardaye Bueckert, President of the Simon Fraser Student Society
OpenCon was the most energetic and intellectually stimulating conference I have attended. Meeting people so immersed in Open Access, Open Data and Open Education was inspiring and has since motivated myself and Martin Bentley to start Open Access South Africa: A Student Network. I am honoured to be a part of a community so fully committed to access to education and research across the world.
Uvania Naidoo, Open Access South Africa Co-founder, MA Candidate (UCT)
Blog and News
The aim of the event is to empower and encourage a new community of social developers engaged in innovative and open technologies through the utilization of various Open Resources.
- Clique AQUI para adquirir grátis o ingresso (Ticket).
- Selecione as atividades de seu interesse na Agenda ao final da página.
- Acesse a lista de Trabalhos Aprovados.
- Os trabalhos aprovados serão publicados no site http://cmp.ifsp.edu.br/opencon/.
Federal Institute of Sao Paulo is proud to announce OpenCon satellite conference that will be held in Campus Campinas on October 21, 2016. There will have a rich agenda of activities such as keynote, seminars, workshops, panel discussions, and a lot of networking among specialists, students and early carrier researches. In this year’s event we expect +200 participants all over our region.
You are invited! Just apply for the activities (see agenda below or download here) or help us making a great event. You can propose an activity, be a volunteer or even support our event.
Promote your research (*Deadline extended until Oct 8th)
Call for Papers (instructions in Brazilian Portuguese)
Propose an activity
- Share your knowledge proposing an activity! If you are doing meaningful work to advance Open causes in your community, we deeply appreciate your help. Write us an e-mail and ask for information on how to propose an activity till August 31.
- We always need help! It’s an event made by passionate about Open causes. The will is the only requirement. So get involved and send us an e-mail offering your help.
Support OpenCon 2016 Campinas
- If you represent a company or an institution and see importance in our work, please consider being our sponsor and funding us. At this moment we don’t have any funding at all. It would be great if you help us by providing financial resources to cover refreshments, program printing costs, travel costs for speakers, conference badge holders, etc. Send us an e-mail and give you more details.
OpenCon around the World
“A great moment to build the momentum for Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data in our region”.
OpenCon is a platform for the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data, develop critical skills, and catalyze action toward a more open system of research and education. The objective is convening students and early career academic professionals from around the world, and serves as a powerful catalyst for projects led by the next generation, to advance OpenCon's three focus areas.
Now we have the opportunity to hold an OpenCon satellite conference, held in partnership with the main conference, here in Campinas. It will be the perfect opportunity to learn and get involved in the OpenCon community. Also we expect to stimulate the local progress on Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data while staying connected to a global movement.
“OpenCon satellite events are a critical part of the community. In OpenCon’s first year the satellite events reach double the number of the people as the main conference alone. Now almost 2000 people have attended over 40 satellite events in 25 countries”.